LIMIT ON PARTICIPATION
Audience participation at a Board meeting is limited to the public comment portion of the meeting designated for that purpose. At all other times during a Board meeting, the audience shall not enter into discussion or debate on matters being considered by the Board, unless requested by the presiding officer.
SPEAKERS FOR OPEN FORUM
Persons desiring to comment to the Board must reside within the District’s boundaries.
At regular Board meetings the Board shall allot 30 minutes to hear persons who desire to make comments to the Board. Persons who wish to participate in this portion of the meeting shall sign up with the Superintendent or presiding officer or designee before the meeting begins and shall indicate the topic about which they wish to speak.
Speakers shall be required to fill out a speaker participation form prior to speaking. The speaker shall be allotted two and one-half minutes if the speaker has filled out the form by the submission deadline of 4:30 p.m. on the day before the Board meeting. The time allotted to a speaker who fills out a form prior to the start of the Board meeting shall be one and one-half minutes.
Speakers addressing the board on items not listed on the agenda must sign up to speak prior to the beginning of the board meeting.
Delegations of more than five persons shall appoint one person to present their views before the Board.
At special meetings or Board workshops, audience participation shall be permitted if the posted notice so indicates. When audience participation is scheduled at a special meeting or Board workshop, persons shall be limited to addressing only topics on the agenda and shall be limited to one minute per speaker.
The guidelines for speaker protocol shall be as follows:
- Prior to forty-five minutes before the start of the meeting, sign-up through the link available under the BISD Board tab of the school district website; or
- Starting forty-five minutes before the start of the meeting and ending fifteen minutes before the start of the meeting, sign-up with the designated school district representative.
- Speakers shall be acknowledged by the President before speaking and must state their first and last name and their address.
- Speakers shall refrain from direct questions to Board members, the Superintendent, District staff, or members of the audience while speaking. The Board will not answer questions from speakers during the communications portion of the meeting.
- Speakers may not accrue minutes from other speakers.
- Speakers shall not use profane or vulgar language.
- Speakers shall refrain from making personal attacks against any person.
- Speakers shall remain in the designated area for public comment.
- The President shall reserve the right to conclude a speaker’s privileges to address the Board if any of these provisions are violated.
Members of the audience shall not present matters involving District personnel during the public comment portion of the meeting. When a complaint about District personnel reaches the Board, it shall be heard in closed meeting, and the employee who is the subject of the complaint shall be invited to attend the meeting and respond to the complaint.
COMPLAINTS AND CONCERNS
The presiding officer or designee shall determine whether a person addressing the Board has attempted to solve a matter administratively through resolution channels established by policy. If not, the person shall be referred to the appropriate policy (see list below) to seek resolution:
- Employee complaints: DGBA
- Student or parent complaints: FNG
- Public complaints: GF
The guidelines for audience protocol shall be as follows:
- The audience shall be expected to remain quiet during the meeting.
- All cell phones and other electronic devices shall be turned off or set to vibrate.
- The audience shall be expected to refrain from cheering, clapping, or audibly commenting during the business portion of the meeting.
DATE REVISED: 02-19-2015, Pending TASB Review and Website Update.
Completed forms may be returned via email or fax to:
Georgia C. Antoine
Executive Assistant for Board Affairs
firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax at: (409) 617-5184