Through the passage of Act 155 (now Act 207), the South Carolina General Assembly approved the removal of the exit exam as a requirement for graduation beginning with the graduating class of 2015. The elimination of the exit exam (BSAP, HSAP) requirement is retroactive to the graduating class of 1990. The Office of Federal and State Accountability at the South Carolina Department of Education has written procedures for districts and the Department to follow in order to meet the diploma petition process required by this legislation.
Dorchester School District Two Procedures for ACT 155/207 Diploma Petitions
1. Eligible students are able to access request forms at:
- 102 Green Wave Blvd. Summerville, SC 29483 or
2. Requests will be recorded electronically through the survey link. Hard copy submissions will be recorded manually at the District Office. Once recorded, petitions will be forwarded to the Director of School Counseling at each high school for processing.
3. Directors of School Counseling will verify that the petitioning student has met all requirements for graduation, except the previous exit exam requirement. As evidence, the Director of School Counseling will gather and forward to the District’s representative:
a. a certified copy of the petitioning student’s transcript
b. a signed document certifying that an academic record review has been
c. a comprehensive copy of the student’s exit exam results (all attempts)
d. a letter from the building principal stating that the petitioning student meets
or does not meet the requirements for a diploma according to the stipulations
of ACT 155/207. If a student is found ineligible, the reasons will be clearly stated
in the principal’s letter.
4. The district’s representative will review the petitions and supporting documentation from schools and submit official diploma requests to the Board of Trustees for consideration.
5. Upon BOE approval, Dorchester School District Two ACT 155/207 diploma petitions will be submitted to the South Carolina Department of Education.
SC Department of Education Act 155 and Act 207 Diploma FAQs