Intent and Purpose: Provide financial assistance to LEAs to:
1. Increase student academic achievement through improving teacher and principal quality and increasing the number of highly qualified teachers in classrooms and highly qualified principals and assistant principals in schools.
2. Hold local education agencies and schools accountable for improving student academic achievement.
Intended Program Beneficiaries: Teachers and principals, including assistant principals, and as appropriate, administrators and pupil services and paraprofessionals.
Allowable Use of Funds: [Section 2123(a)]
LEAs must use TPTR funds to implement one or more of the following allowable activities.
recruiting, hiring and retention of highly qualified personnel
improve quality of teacher and professional work force under
reducing class size
General Program Requirements: TPTR program activities are required to:
1. be based on a local assessment of needs for professional
development and hiring
2. activities must:
- be aligned with state academic content and student academic
performance standards and state assessments;
- be aligned with curricula and programs tied to state academic
content and student academic performance standards;
- be based on a review of scientifically based research;
have a substantial, measurable, and positive impact on student
- be part of a broader strategy to eliminate the achievement gap
between low-income and minority students and other
3. Professional development activities must be coordinated with other professional development activities provided through other Federal, state, and local programs, including Title II, Part D (technology) funds.