I certainly hope everyone weathered the storm and remained safe during hurricane Florence. I wanted to send correspondence to let you know that we have chosen October 13, 2018 as the new date for GATEWAY auditions. All previous audition times sent out via US mail will remain the same and the location is still the NEW Rollings Middle School of the Arts, located at 1635 Beech Hill Road. Please use the map that was sent to identify parking and the audition entrance, which is actually the back cafeteria door of Sand Hill Elementary School, which is connected and adjacent to the new Rollings Middle School.
We look forward to seeing everyone on October 13.
If you have questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to call our office at 843-832-5532 and speak with either Michelle or Cheryl.
What is Gateway?
Gateway is a challenging 15-day program for artistically talented students in grades 3 through 8. It is held on five Saturdays throughout the school year and two weeks in June. Students are served in the areas of creative writing, dance, theatre arts, visual art, vocal music, instrumental music and instrumental music/band.
Who may audition?
ALL students in grades 3 through 8 who currently reside in Dorchester School District Two attendance area may audition.
- Super Saturdays will be held at the new Rollings Middle School of the Arts. The Summer Program location is TBA.
- Super Saturday Dates: November 17, December 8, March 23, April 27, and May 11
- Summer Program Dates: June 10-21, 2019
- All program hours are 8:00AM - 2:30PM.
Each student chosen for the program must make a commitment to attend all fifteen program days and participate in the Saturday, June 22, 2019 Festival. (Parents are responsible for transportation to and from the program.)
It is imperative that each student make an attendance commitment.
Not only is it essential for the student's benefit, it also benefits the program.
Because we feel that unexcused absences show disinterest and disregard for the program,
the following guidelines have been adopted:
- Any absence for reasons other than illness or death of a close relative will be considered unexcused.
- Unexcused absences will jeopardize a student's placement in the artistically gifted and talented program.
- We cannot make refunds if a student does not complete the program.
The program is predominantly funded by the South Carolina Education Improvement Act.
However, students who are accepted will be asked to pay a $6.67 fee per day for materials and resources ($100.00 total).
Payments are to be made as follows: $75.00 is due by Oct. 19, 2018 and $25.00 is due by Feb. 9, 2019.
Scholarships are available. Fees are non-refundable.
Auditions will be held Saturday, September 15, 2018 at the new Rollings Middle School of the Arts.
A panel of judges in each area will conduct the auditions. Students shoul prepare the following for their audition:
- Band: You will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of pitch, echo rhythmic patterns, and count aloud basic rhythm patterns. You will also be asked to play a scale on your primary band instrument (Grades 7-8) or a penta-scale (Grade 6).
- Creative Writing: Bring three different, one-page samples of your best writing to the audition. These may be typed or handwritten. During the audition, you will be asked to write a piece. Your writing will be evaluated on creativity, organization, and details.
- Dance: You will be asked to execute simple rhythmic steps and follow certain patterns. Please wear appropriate dance attire. You will audition barefoot.
- Instrumental Music: You will be asked to demonstrate knowledge of pitch, echo rhythmic patterns, and be tested for eye-hand coordination. You do not need to play an instrument.
- Strings Core: You will be asked to demonstrate D, E and F# and G on the D string. (Grades 7 and 8) You will be asked to perform the C, D and G scales
- Theatre Arts: Prepare a one-minute comedic or dramatic monologue (a memorized dialogue from a play, TV show, or movie). You will also be asked to participate in improvisational activities during the audition.
- Visual Art: You will be asked to draw several items during the audition (materials will be provided). NO portfolio is required.
- Vocal Music: Be prepared to sing the first verse of America (My Country 'Tis of Thee). You will also be asked to demonstrate knowledge of pitch, rhythm, and to sing in harmony.
You will receive notification of your audition time through the mail by September 12, 2018.
Please call 843-832-5532 if you have not received your notification.
New students--or returning students who want to change their core art area--may use the link below
to register online by September 1, 2018.
The online application opened July 30, 2018.
(Previously accepted students do not need to audition unless they wish to change their core art area.)
Students invited to return to Gateway this year need to submit an application
by September 1, 2018 to confirm their spot in the program.
The online application opened July 25, 2018.
Use the online application link below or print and mail the paper version to the Gifted & Fine Arts Center
using the address noted on the application.
Click here to download & print the paper version of the 2018 Return to Gateway application.