Emerson personnel enforce strict attendance and tardy policies, therefore, it is crucial that student attendance is consistent. Every day a student misses school, he/she gets more than two days behind. The state of California no longer provides funds to schools if students are absent, regardless of the reason for not attending. Scheduling medical appointments after school is beneficial to both your child and the school.
If your child is absent or tardy, please follow the procedures listed below:
- Parent or guardian must contact the attendance clerk in writing or by phone (397-4516) on the day of the absence or tardy (Calif. Law, Ed. Cod 48340).
- Students returning to school after an absence are to report to the attendance office before school begins to be issued a clearance slip. Failure to do so may result in detention.
- Students failing to have proper clearance information (parent note or phone call) will be given until the following day (5 CCR section 306) to “clear” their absence. If a student accumulates 3 or more and/or tardy 30 minutes or more from school without a valid excuse he/she will receive truancy notifications. You are hereby notified of the following: (EC48260.5)
- Students arriving at school after 8:00 a.m. are to report directly to the main office. Students are considered tardy if they are not in their assigned seat/area before the tardy bell rings. Medical appointments and illness are the only reasons for excused absences. This policy applies to all periods of the day.
- All tardiness will result in disciplinary action. After a student has accumulated three tardies, he/she will serve detention. Each tardy after the initial three will result in the student’s exclusion from a school activity (dances, assemblies, field trips, etc.).
- It is the parent’s responsibility to make sure that the school has an emergency card for his/her student with current telephone numbers and contact persons on file. Should an emergency occur, the card will assist the school in contacting the parent in a timely manner. Students will only be released to persons whose name appears on the emergency card and have proper identification.
No student may leave campus without notification to the Attendance Office and parent sign-out. Students needing to leave school must follow the procedures listed below.
- Student is to remain in the classroom until summoned to the Attendance Office upon parent’s arrival.
- If you return to school before the end of the day, report to the office for a clearance slip.