Click to see how to register for the student flu vaccine.
The flu vaccine is the best way to prevent the flu. It is especially important that children with certain health problems like asthma, diabetes or weakened immune systems get vaccinated every year.
The South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) is working with your school district to provide flu vaccine at your child’s school this fall. The flu shot will be the only flu vaccine given in school clinics this year.
Flu shots are affordable at school clinics. If your child has:
- Medicaid: Medicaid will be billed for $13.
- No health insurance: You will receive a bill from DHEC for $13.
- Private health insurance: DHEC will file a claim for $13 with your insurance carrier. Any balance remaining may be billed to you.
If you would like your child to get a flu shot at school:
- Go to http://www.scdhec.gov/slvcconsent and enter 11802991 as your validation code.
- Complete the online consent and submit to DHEC.
If your child is under the age of 9, he or she may be recommended to get a second flu shot for the best protection. You will be notified if your child will need a second flu shot.
If your child does not receive the flu vaccine at school, please consider contacting your child’s healthcare provider or health department about getting the flu shot. The important thing is to protect your child from the flu by vaccinating them.
Teresa A. Foo, MD, MPH
Medical Consultant, Immunization Division
Once you have submitted the Parent Consent Form, please contact the DHEC Regional Immunization Office for your county before the scheduled vaccination clinic, if any of the following events occur:
- There are any significant changes in your child’s health.
- You decide you no longer want your child to receive the flu shot at school.
DHEC Regional Immunization Office Contact Information:
- For parents of children in participating schools in Allendale, Bamberg, Beaufort, Berkeley, Calhoun, Charleston, Colleton, Dorchester, Hampton, Jasper, and Orangeburg counties, please call (843) 953-0080.
- For parents of children in participating schools in Aiken, Barnwell, Chester, Edgefield, Fairfield, Kershaw, Lancaster, Lexington, Newberry, Richland, Saluda, York counties, please call (803) 320-2467.
- For parents of children in participating schools in Abbeville, Anderson, Cherokee, Greenville, Greenwood, Laurens, McCormick, Oconee, Pickens, Spartanburg, Union counties, please call (864) 596-2227 Ext. 246.
- For parents of children in participating schools in Chesterfield, Clarendon, Darlington, Dillon, Florence, Georgetown, Horry, Lee, Marion, Marlboro, Sumter, Williamsburg counties, please call (843) 673-6570.