Rehoboth Elementary School

2-5 Building                                                                                          K-1 Building

500 Stockley Street, Ext.                                                                     504 Stockley Street, Ext.

Rehoboth Beach, DE  19971                                                               Rehoboth Beach, DE  19971

302-227-2571                                                                                        302-227-3068

Fax:  302-227-5178                                                                               Fax:  302-227-5176

Morning School Times



Buses begin unloading at 8:10 a.m. at the little building.  For student drop off at the K-1 building the main door will be opened at 8:00 a.m. and students will be supervised in the lobby.  At the 2nd -5th grade building the cafeteria door will be opened at 8:00 a.m. and students will be supervised in the cafeteria.  Parents wishing to enter the building with their child will need to use the new front entrance. They may report to classrooms when the buses dismiss. Students are late for school at 8:30 a.m. and must report to the office.


Buzzer System


There is a buzzer system in effect on the lakeside doors.  The locks are turned on at 8:30am and turned off at 3:00pm.  Visitors may press the red button to the right of the doors to request admission. 




Our bus drivers are not school employees.  They are private contractors.  The school does not set their routes or schedules.  Those details are handled in cooperation with the Cape Henlopen School District's Transportation Office.  If you have problems, questions or concerns that cannot be resolved with your bus contractor, please contact the District Transportation Office at 302-644-7900 .
Students may only ride the school bus they are assigned.  This is Department of Education policy.  Students may ride Bus A in the morning and Bus B in the afternoon, but it must be on a five-day a week basis.  The only exception will be made on a scheduled ½ day and only for day care purposes.  Please call 302-644-7900 if you have any questions.  Permission will not be given to students to ride a different bus for play dates at any time.

School bus regulations must be obeyed at all times.  The bus driver is in charge of all students on his or her bus and should be shown proper respect and courtesy.  Loud and boisterous behavior on the buses will not be tolerated.  This is distracting to the driver and could result in a serious accident.  Students who willfully disobey the directions of the driver will lose the privilege of bus transportation.  The bus drivers have been instructed to refer unruly students to the principal.  Bus drivers also have the authority to assign students to specific seats. 


Emergency Cards


If you change your address, phone number or employment at any time throughout the year, please send written notification so your emergency information can be updated.  It is imperative that we have the most up-to-date information in case of emergency so you can be contacted immediately.




If you need to phone a staff member, just call the school and leave a message.  Our teachers, of course, are in the classroom teaching your children and will not be able to come to the phone.  All teachers can also be reached via their email.  We cannot deliver personal messages to students, nor can we call students to the telephone.  Please make personal and family arrangements at home.


Attendance Policy


If your child misses school, a dated and signed note containing your child's full name must be sent to school when he/she returns explaining the reason for the absence.  Please refer to the district attendance policy for what is deemed an excused or unexcused reason for absence.  Notes must be received within 3 days of the child's return or the absence will be recorded as unexcused.

Families may request up to ten (10) vacation days per year with prior written approval of the school at least five (5) days prior to the vacation.  These request forms can be found in the calendar.  Prior written approval must be obtained even if the request is for just one (1) day.  Without prior written approval, the time off will be unexcused.  Please consider the state testing schedule when planning a vacation.


Early Dismissal


If your children must leave school before the regular dismissal time (doctor, dentist, etc.) please send a signed and dated note in to school with them in the morning explaining when you will be here to pick them up.  This enables the teachers to prepare the students for early dismissal, making sure they are given assignments, are able to complete testing, etc.  It also minimizes classroom disruptions.  At the time of pick-up, report to the office to sign your children out.  We cannot release any child without a note.  Phone calls will not be accepted as notification of dismissal. Only those persons listed on the Permission to Pickup list will be allowed to sign out your children.

Please make every effort to schedule appointments during after-school hours.


Afternoon Dismissal


Afternoon dismissal is at 3:15 p.m. for the Little Building and 3:25 p.m. for the Big Building.  If you transport your children home from school, you must park your car and come into the appropriate building to get them.  For safety reasons, the children cannot wait outside.
For student pick up at the K-1 building the cafeteria door will be opened at 3:10 p.m. and students will be dismissed for pick up at 3:15 p.m.  At the 2nd -5th grade building the auditorium doors will be opened at 3:20 p.m. and students will be dismissed for pick up at 3:25 p.m.
If your child normally rides the bus home but you wish your child to be a "Parent Pickup" on a particular day, this may be done in one of the following ways:
  1. Send a signed note to school in the morning with your child explaining the change including who will be picking up your child.
  2. Come in person to the office prior to dismissal time.

Children will NOT be released by a phone call and will only be released to someone whose name is on the Permission to Pickup list.



Adults Visiting Our School
The following guidelines should be followed:
  • Prearrange your visit with the teacher.
  • Please go directly to the school office.  Bring identification, sign in, and obtain a visitor's badge to wear during the school or office visit.
  • Please turn off cell phone.
  • Visitors may not disrupt the classroom, classroom procedures, or learning activities.
  • Food and beverages should not be brought into the classroom unless prearranged with the teacher.
  • Visitors should not bring other children into the classroom unless prior arrangements have been made with the teacher.
  • Because visitors and volunteers are sometimes exposed to confidential matters, it is expected that the rights of both students and school personnel be respected by holding matters strictly confidential.

We welcome all visitors and volunteers!


Enrolling Students


A child must be enrolled by a parent, guardian, or relative caregiver.  To be designated a guardian, an adult must have legal documentation such as guardianship papers from the Family Court of Delaware.  A thirty-day grace period for procurement of documents will be granted.  Documentation that the Family Court process has been initiated is required upon enrollment.
In the case of a relative caregiver, the proper notarized documentation is required prior to the child attending school.
Parents, guardians, or relative caregivers must reside in the Cape Henlopen School District, and the residence declared must be the home in which the child resides most of the time.
In all cases, the following documentation must be presented upon enrollment:
  Proof of Residency in the district:  (One of these items must have your name and physical address on it.)
    Mortgage or Lease or Rental Agreement
    Utility Bill
    Property Tax Bill
  Current Physical
  Birth Certificate - must be the original state birth certificate with the state seal
    A thirty-day grace period may be given, if needed, for procurement of a birth certificate.
  Photo ID of parent or guardian registering the child(ren)
  If there is a divorce or separation, custody papers need to be provided.
  If the student is living with a relative caregiver, Relative Caregiver forms must be completed and notarized.

Cape Henlopen School District - Enrollment Form and Residency Verification


The 2015/2016 Choice Application is available on the Cape Henlopen School District website (www.capehenlopenschools.com)


ES State Testing Schedule -

 Grade Level Fall