- Practice writing first and last name
- Work on recognizing letters and their sounds
- Study weekly sight words
- Use weekly vocabulary words in conversation at home
- Study numbers 0-20
- Have your child represent numbers 0-20 using manipulatives
- Identify and draw shapes
- Name the days of the week and the months and the year
- Identify colors and letters around your home
- Ask your child to sing you our color and letter songs
- Practice rhyming
Read, read, read! Several tips to help parents promote literacy at home: - Choose a quiet time for reading to your child, as in before a nap, bedtime, or after dinner. Read it all -For example, when you’re at the grocery store with your child, explain why you pay money for the food, point out words on magazine covers, and discuss what you are buying and how it turns into lunch.
Read aloud to your child everyday!