Special Education and related services are provided to all Wauwatosa schools, including services at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, the Child and Adolescent Treatment Center and the Milwaukee County Detention Center. Over 95 percent of children with disabilities attend school at the neighborhood school. Special education teachers, para-educators, speech therapists, occupational and physical therapists work closely with general education teachers as services are provided to children.
- Not as a separate entity but in collaboration and cooperation with all staff members,
- Includes a continuum of services offered to ensure student success,
- Serves students in the least restrictive environment in which they can be successful (LRE),
- Uses a variety of techniques, strategies and methods to address the different styles and rates of learning that students with disabilities exhibit,
- Uses technology to assist students to reach their potential,
- Assists classroom teachers in providing necessary modifications for students to be successful,
- Is provided in the neighborhood whenever possible,
- Is driven by student need not categorical label,
- Involves parents and partners in decision making about their child's educational program, and
- Is a service not a place.