Student and Family Assistance Program
We know that a healthy home and family life helps to nurture academic excellence. To promote healthy homes, minds and families, the Wauwatosa School District is proud to offer the Student and Family Assistance Program (SFAP) through Aurora Healthcare at no charge to all Wauwatosa School District students and families residing in the same household.
This program provides students and families up to six goal-focused confidential professional counseling, consultation, or intervention sessions per family member, per issue to address personal, family or environmental factors that impact academic performance or personal well being.
Sponsored by the Employee Assistance Program of Aurora Health Care, the counselors of the Student and Family Assistance Program have been serving Wisconsin families for more than 25 years.
HOW IT WORKS:
Help begins when a family member or legally responsible adult calls the program. Based on your needs, Aurora specialists will:
• Connect you by phone with a professional counselor who will consult with you.
• Schedule a confidential appointment with a program counselor for you or your family. Many times, a family’s concerns can be resolved within program sessions, saving time and money.
• Assist with an insurance or community based referral, if your situation requires further treatment or additional resources.
All services are confidential. No information about you or your family situation will be shared with school personnel without your permission.
WHEN TO USE THE PROGRAM:
This varies from person to person. Generally, it’s wise to seek help when a problem:
• Interferes with normal activities
• Occupies too much of your time
• Persists for more than several weeks
Typical concerns may include:
• Academic pressures
• Alcohol/drug issues
• Anxiety and depression
• Child/family issues
• Divorce/blended families
• Marital/relationship issues
• Parenting issues and questions
• Stress management
COACHING FOR BEHAVIOR CHANGES
The program also offers coaching for students and families at the middle and high school level who are going through behavior changes. Topics for coaching sessions include:
• Anger Management
• Rethinking Drinking
• Coping with Stress, Anxiety & Change
• Marijuana Use
For confidential, FREE assistance, call Aurora SFAP at 800-236-3231. You may also contact your Student Services staff member at your individual school for assistance or see the links provided for additional information on how or when to utilize the SFAP program.